Locale problem updating 10.3 to 11.1

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 08:19:01 UTC 2018

Sorry, it's a bit trickier than that. I said "touching", not "using" as in
"UTF-8 locale".

Any locale system needs a common base to build locale descriptions from.
Unicode, or something functionally equivalent to it -- but given that we
need to support Unicode locales anyway, it makes the most sense ---
provides that common base.

So anything that affects Unicode handling implicitly affects the entire
locale system. LANG=C is the exception, because by the locale specification
it is the null mapping / what you would get if there were no locale system
at all.