[CFT] [X11] graphics/drm-next-kmod now builds, loads and works on FreeBSD-11-stable

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 05:14:25 UTC 2018

>>> https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-next-kmod
>>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/329527
>>>
>>> Issues are reported here:
>>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>>

> Hi Kevin,
>

>> Wow! That is awesome. Thanks to all of the contributors.
>>

> Thank you!
>

>> Any instructions? Am I right that the mod setting driver should generally
>> be used. None of the links above really covers implementation.
>>

> I believe the package when you install it will give you some instructions
> in the pkg-message.
>
> Basically:
>
> portsnap fetch update
>
> Make sure your kernel sources in /usr/src .
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel -jX
> make installkernel -jX
>
> cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod
> make all install clean
>
> Edit /etc/rc.conf and add for example:
>
> kld_list="i915kms"
>
> Then reboot and twin your thumbs.
>
> If it fails goto single user mode.
>
> mount -a
>
> Edit /etc/rc.conf and remove the kld_list=...
> Save and type exit.
>
> Before starting X.org you should have the correct xf86-video-xxx drivers
> installed, because then 2D and 3D acceleration will activate.
>
> A quick tip for tear-free video with intel drivers:
>
> cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier  "Device0"
>    Driver "intel"
>    Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
>    Option "TearFree" "true"
> EndSection
>
> --HPS

Thanks, Hans! I should have looked at the message file. It explained most
of it, though I especially appreciate the tearfree config as I am using
Intel graphics.

This is also the first I have seen of modular config files. Guess I have
some man page reading to do.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com