stable/11 r329462 - Meltdown/Spectre MFC questions

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 23:36:29 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Pete French <petefrench at ingresso.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 17/02/2018 20:19, Matt Smith wrote:
>
> And thank you for pointing this out. I can now just wait a while to see
>> what comes along rather than accidentally upgrading it and killing the
>> already really slow performance.
>>
>> I was just looking at this too, and wondering what (if any) the
> performance impact is on FreeBSD. I had a quick google to see if I could
> fine anything on current about it, but no luck. Anyone done any
> measurements ?
>
> -pete.

Well, I would also like a bit of information on this. When I get a moment
I'll see if I can find anything on this on the current@ archive.

Looks like all are loadables, so need to be defined in /boot/loader.conf
and can only be changed on a boot  with the exception of hw.ibrs_disable
which is settable either at boot or via sysctl. Looks like that is the one
to twiddle to check on impact.

I'm currently updating my stable system as this hit the tree after my
morning updates.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com