Ryzen issues on FreeBSD ? (with sort of workaround)

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 12 21:49:54 UTC 2018

On 31 Jan, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> 31.01.2018 4:36, Mike Tancsa пишет:
>> On 1/30/2018 2:51 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>>
>>> And sadly, I am still able to hang the compile in about the same place.
>>> However, if I set
>>

>> OK, here is a sort of work around. If I have the box a little more busy,
>> I can avoid whatever deadlock is going on.  In another console I have
>> cat /dev/urandom | sha256
>> running while the build runs
>>
>> ... and I can compile net/samba47 from scratch without the compile
>> hanging.  This problem also happens on HEAD from today.  Should I start
>> a new thread on freebsd-current ? Or just file a bug report ?
>> The compile worked 4/4
>
> That's really strange. Could you try to do "sysctl kern.eventtimer.periodic=1"
> and re-do the test without extra load?

I'm having really good luck with the kernel patch attached to this
message:
https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=417183+0+archive/2018/freebsd-hackers/20180211.freebsd-hackers

Since applying that patch, I did three poudriere runs to build the set
of ~1700 ports that I use.  Other than one gmake-related build runaway
that I've also seen on my AMD FX-8320E, I didn't see any random port
build failures.  When I was last did some testing a few weeks ago,
lang/go would almost always fail.  I also would seem random build
failures in lang/guile or finance/gnucash (which uses guile during its
build) on both my Ryzen and FX-8320E machines, but those built cleanly
all three times.

I even built samba 16 times in a row without a hang.