FreeBSD on 64MB memory

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon Feb 12 05:19:38 UTC 2018

12.02.2018 11:56, Ask Bjørn Hansen пишет:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old Soekris system with 64MB memory that I upgraded from 10.3 to 11.1 recently. Since then it’s started hanging every few days.
>
> Today I happened to have a “top” instance running on the serial console. The system is minimally responsive to the network (ICMP and CARP are working, but no services).
>
>>From the top output it’s not clear what resource it’s out of.

I suspect it is out of many types of kernel memory including mbuf clusters,
hence no working TCP/UDP but ICMP works.

> There’s no swap configured, but that what it looks like it’s trying to do?
>
> The ‘pf purge’ process is suspicious. There are no pf rules configured on the system (it should be all disabled).
>
> Any suggestions?  (Other than “seriously … 64MB memory?!”).

Please show output of commands:

grep memory /var/run/dmesg.boot
top -ores -d1
sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters

It would be also very useful to obtain output of "vmstat -z" in a moment of breakage.