Two USB 4 disk enclosure and a panic

Nenhum_de_Nos matheus at eternamente.info
Tue Apr 24 02:27:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

I would like to know how to debug this. I have two 4 disk enclosures:

Mediasonic ProBox 4 Bay 3.5' SATA HDD Enclosure – USB 3.0 & eSATA (HF2-SU3S2)
NexStar HX4 - NST-640SU3-BK

and both have 4 disk on them, and not all disk are equal.

The issue comes when I plug the probox usb3 enclosure on the system. I
can't even read the /var/log/message, it crashes very quickly.

I can see on the boot process up to the point where the second enclosure
comes to be loaded. The 4 disk are shown on the dmesg/console, and then a
core dump happens, the boot process goes to the debug screen and a restart
happens like a flash.

The motherboard is a Intel® Desktop Board D525MW running 8GB RAM.
All disk use ZFS, 4 or 5 zpools, one raidz, one mirror and two or three
single disk pools.
FreeBSD xxx 11.1-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p7 #1 r330596: Thu Mar  8
06:45:59 -03 2018     root at xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FreeBSD-11-amd64-PF
amd64

The kernel is a slightly modified generic, just to have altq.

How can I debug this? I have no idea. I have to use two machines to run
all those disks, and I would really like to have just one for it.

Can it be the amount of RAM? The other box is and APU2 from PCEngines and
have 4GB ram. apu2 uname -a: FreeBSD yyy 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD
11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I tried to plug the Vantec hardware on the apu2 box, but there it would
not panic, but won't load all vantec disks neither. I really run out of
ideas here :(

thanks.

--
"We will call you Cygnus,