ZFS arc behaviour different after upgrading to 10.4

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Fri Nov 10 15:44:37 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I noticed that the ZFS ARC is behaving differently with 10.4, giving me
a much worser cache effeciency as with 10.3

The following grafana/telefraph graph illustrates this as follows.

https://snapshot.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/X18wHgmqFnMccEYlnbwgQtYgLIZ4oQLU?panelId=65061&fullscreen&orgId=2

Left I'm still running 10.3, Started some maintenance (binary update
with freebsd-update) at 12:36 and booted into 10.4 at 14:34. Since then
the ARC hits/misses are much more irregular. Disabling compression
(apparently also introduced in 10.4) didn't help that much with regards
to the pattern although it did shave off some load of the system.

Any thoughts on the changed behaviour?

Cheers,
     Ruben