Unable to boot 11.0-release on Unisurf Notebook

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 26 16:22:40 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-03-26 at 19:30 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2017-Mar-25 10:19:57 +1100, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've just bought a Unisurf Notebook[1] and am trying to boot it
> > from a
> > FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img.  The boot starts OK but
> > hangs
> > whilst probing devices.  With safe and verbose enabled, it hangs
> > after
> > complaining about ppc0 (see https://goo.gl/photos/3e7tLWygjsQ6ayBT9
> > ).
> > At this point neither Ctrl-Alt-Del nor Ctrl-Alt-Esc have any effect
> > and
> > the only option is to hold the power button down until it powers
> > off.
> For the record, I have both good and bad news:
> The good news is that setting hint.uart.1.disabled="1" let it boot.
> The bad news is that FreeBSD-11 (I didn't try head) can't see the
> eMMC
> flash.  The worse news is that the WiFi adapter is attached to the
> SDIO.
> I've given up and returned it.
>
> If anyone's interested, I've posted dmesg and similar information
> from both
> FreeBSD-11 and xubuntu 16.04.2 at https://www.rulingia.com/~peter/uni
> surf/

Marius is currently updating our mmc/sd stack for better support of
modern emmc, there's a good chance that support will hit 11-stable in a
while.

There is also work in progress on sdio, but that's still focused on the
lower level support.  Once that infrastructure is in place, another
round of work will be needed to create the wifi drivers.

-- Ian