stable/11 regression: SIGSYS in the /bin/sh

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Fri Jul 28 03:02:51 UTC 2017

On 27.07.2017 23:28, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

>> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0s1a [ro]...
>> start_init: trying /sbin/init
>> ppid 21 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
>> id 21 comm sh: nosys 42
>> Jul 27 14:30:23 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
> Take your /bin/sh, libraries and rtld to some other machine and try to
> catch where the pipe(2) call come from.  I do not see any other way
> forward, assuming your build env is not contaminated somehow.

Nevermind, I've just resolved this: this NanoBSD installation by default
has two partitions ad0s1a (old 8.4-STABLE) and ad0s2a (new 11.1-STABLE)
with "BootEasy" boot0 to choose from and for unknown reason
it mounts root from ad0s1a with old binaries if booted from ad0s2a.

That is, it runs /boot/loader from ad0s2a and it loads 11.1 kernel
using ad0s2a but mounts root from ad0s1a.

Sorry for noise.