The 11.1-RC3 can only boot and attach disks in "Safe mode", otherwise gets stuck attaching

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Thu Jul 20 13:45:46 UTC 2017

2017-07-20 02:03, Mark Johnston wrote:
> One thing to try at this point would be to disable EARLY_AP_STARTUP in
> the kernel config. That is, take a configuration with which you're able
> to reproduce the hang during boot, and remove "options
> EARLY_AP_STARTUP".

Done. And it avoids the problem altogether! Thanks.
Tried a reboot several times and it succeeds every time.

Here is all that I had in a config file for building a kernel,
i.e. I took away the 'options DDB' which also seemingly avoided
the problem:
   include GENERIC
   ident NELI
   nooptions EARLY_AP_STARTUP

> This feature has a fairly large impact on the bootup process and has
> had a few problems that manifested as hangs during boot. There was at
> least one other case where an innocuous change to the kernel
> configuration "fixed" the problem by introducing some second-order
> effect (causing kernel threads to be scheduled in a different
> order, for instance).

> Regardless of whether the suggestion above makes a difference, it would
> be helpful to see verbose dmesgs from both a clean boot and a boot that
> hangs. If disabling EARLY_AP_STARTUP helps, then we can try adding some
> assertions that will cause the system to panic when the hang occurs,
> making it easier to see what's going on.

Hmmm.
I have now saved a couple of versions of /var/run/dmesg.boot
(in boot_verbose mode) when EARLY_AP_STARTUP is disabled and
the boot is successful. However, I don't know how to capture
such log when booting hangs, as I have no serial interface
and the boot never completes. All I have is a screen photo
of the last state when a hang occurs (showing ada disks
successfully attached, followed immediately by the attempt
to attach a da disk, which hangs).

   Mark