stack_guard hardening bsdinstall option in STABLE and 11.1

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Mon Jul 17 22:09:34 UTC 2017

Vlad K. vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com wrote on
Mon Jul 17 15:03:11 UTC 2017 :

> I also asked why wasn't the bsdinstall-er option change
> MFC'd after 1 day, two weeks ago, whether it's by omission, simply
> ENOTIME, or something else...

Given what Konstantin Belousov described (default
stack space sizes and apparently guard pages eat
into stack space instead of the overall space being
bigger by the guard size), I think that would explain
not moving from CURRENT: it was known to be a problem.
(Although I expect Konstantin Belousov's note here is
the first public description of the problem's details.)

I agree that you did not get an answer for the other
part:

> I simply asked if it's safe to assume the sysctl to be an integer in

> 11.1

I've not gone through any draft 11.1-release code to
check.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net