stack_guard hardening bsdinstall option in STABLE and 11.1

Vlad K. vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com
Mon Jul 17 09:54:18 UTC 2017

Hello list,

the stack_guard hardening option in bsdinstall is now setting 512 pages
of it in CURRENT, as of r320674. It's said to MFC after 1 day (on Jul
5th), but STABLE hasn't got it yet. Is this simply an omission
(understandable as the RELEASE is being prepared so things are a bit
hectic I guess), or is there another reason?

Can we assume that in 11.1 the sysctl is integer and can we safely set
 >1 number of pages, say 512 like the installer in CURRENT suggests?

Thanks!

--
Vlad K.