[SOLVED] Re: Panic with FreeBSD 11.0-RC2 VM-IMAGE when starting vboxservice

Mark Johnston markj at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 10 20:00:32 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 09:47:50PM +0200, José G. Juanino wrote:
> El Monday 10 de July a las 21:24:41 CEST, José G. Juanino escribió:
> >El Sunday 09 de July a las 23:48:29 CEST, David Boyd escribió:
> >>With latest VM-IMAGE (vmdk) for 11.1-RC2 system panics.  I haven't
> >>been able to process the panic completely, but the backtrace looks
> >>mysteriously similar to those provided with PR219146.
> >>

> >>Initially, the VM-IMAGE booted just fine.  The VM-IMAGE is then
> >>configured as a VirtualBox client.  The panic occurs on subsequent
> >>reboots when attempting to start vboxservice.
> >>

> >>Additionally, during the custom configuration process, lsof hangs
> >>for more than 2 minutes each time that it is invoked.
> >>

> >>Please let me know exactly what information is needed to correct
> >>this problem.  I will be able to provide that information no later
> >>than Tuesday morning.
> >>

> >Hi, I am also suffering this panic.
> >
> >I use everyday my Windows 7 host Virtualbox with a FreeBSD guest. I
> >upgraded from 11.0 -> 11.1-BETA1 -> 11.1-BETA2 -> 11.1-RC1 with no
> >issues.
> >
> >But after to upgrade to 11.1-RC2, the system panics just after to
> >start vboxservice. I have disabled the service at boot in
> >/etc/rc.conf, but it does not help: the system crashes just after
> >"service vboxservice start" command.
> >
> >You can get a full crash dump here:
> >
> >https://pastebin.com/MkxS9GZn
> >
> >At this moment, I am going to rebuild the virtualbox-ose-additions
> >port (running 11.1-RC2) and I will let you know if there is some
> >difference.
>
> I confirm that after rebuild virtualbox-ose-additions port, the panic
> goes away. Regards.

I suspect that this is a result of r320763. That change removed a field
from struct vm_map_entry, which is embedded in struct vm_map. Virtualbox
does not reference the fields of struct vm_map directly, but it does
call vm_map_pmap(), which is an inline accessor.