ryzen issues?

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Fri Dec 15 23:35:50 UTC 2017

On 12/15/2017 7:42 AM, Nimrod Levy wrote:

> I've been having a problem with a recent computer build.  I've got a Ryzen
> 5 1600 on an Asus Prime B350+ motherboard.  When it runs, it runs well.  I
> don't see things like programs crashing or anything like that.

I have no debugging help to provide but can
describe a similar experience. I only tried
a direct-boot of FreeBSD once and it may be
a long time before I try again.

With a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X that normally
runs FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT builds under Windows
10 Pro's Hyper-V, I once tried to boot and use
the system directly with FreeBSD --from the
same media that it runs on via Hyper-V. (Under
Hyper-V FreeBSD runs fine.)

It booted. But not too long later it hung up.
As I remember I was able to hold a power button
in for a longer than normal time to cut the
power. If I remember right, the light normally
visible on the USB keyboard when it is
operational on USB was out after the hangup
(and before the forced power-off). As I remember,
the video display stayed (but did not update).
Ethernet access stopped.

The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X does not have the
CPU problem that lower end Ryzen's have had.
(So for this is confirmed in my testing,
contrasted to my earlier access to a 1800X, also
used under Hyper-V, but never directly booted.)
So, I doubt that CPU issue is involved in the
hangup that I got.

I will note that I've seen list messages from
folks indicating some Ryzen variant for some
system --and they were not reporting such
hangups, nor did they indicate running under
any hypervisors. So, something more
local-context-special seems to be involved.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net