hw.vga.textmode=1 and the installation media

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Sun Dec 10 08:47:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

would be really nice if the 11.2 and subsequent versions would come with
the hw.vga.textmode=1 as the default in the installation media. Because
you know, there's a problem with some vendors (like HP) who's servers
are incapable of showing graphics in IPMI with the default
hw.vga.textmode=0 (yeah, I'm aware that most of the vendors don't have
this issue), and there's still a bug that prevents this from being set
from a loader prompt - USB keyboard doesn't work at least in 11.0 there
(seems to be some sort of FreeBSD "holy cow", along with sshd starting
last, after all the local daemons. I would ask again to fix the latter
as I did last years, but it really seems to be a cornerstone which the
FreeBSD is built upon).

Thanks.

Eugene.