GCC + FreeBSD 11.0 Stable - stat.h does not have vm_ooffset_t definition

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 30 13:12:47 UTC 2017

On 30 Apr 2017, at 14:06, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:55:24PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> So in that case, if Jung-uk's solution works, it is probably the best
>> way forward, and it can even be upstreamed.  Jung-uk, how does your
>> patch handle an updated header under /usr/include which contains e.g.
>> new definitions, which are not in the fixed includes directory?
>
> Am I right that Jung-uk fix replaces vm_ooffset_t and vm_pindex_t with
> explicit int64_t and uint64_t use, as the course of action for gcc
> fixincludes step ?  If yes, I completely disagree.
>
> The change blocks any future changes to the type that might occur in the
> base system, for the code compiled by gcc.  End result might be as bad
> as mismatched ABI, in the worst case.
>
> I share the opinion that fixincludes is not only useless, but really
> damaging.  Gcc ships workarounds for e.g. issues in X11 headers, which
> application depends on the presence of the corresponding headers at the
> gcc build time.  For clean (poudriere-like) builds these fixes are never
> applied, so port build results are inconsistent, at least.
>
> Nobody so far explained why fixincludes is needed for the modern base
> headers. IMO if we have real problems in headers we ship, we must fix it
> in the base.
>
> With all of the above, IMO most sane way to fix problems is to
> rename fixincludes directory to some name which is ignored by gcc,
> e.g. include-fixed -> include-fixed.saved. This can be done as
> post-installation step in the ports.

I agree, it would be best to avoid storing any copies of system headers
completely.

Maybe the port can have an option FIX_INCLUDES, which defaults to off?
I am not sure if there is anybody that really wants these 'fixed'
headers, though. :)

-Dimitry