Dying jail

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 31 17:21:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 03:09:31PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recently I've upgraded one of my server running 9.3-STABLE with jail containing 4.11-STABLE system.
> The host was source-upgraded upto 10.3-STABLE first and next to 11.0-STABLE
> and jail configuration migrated to /etc/jail.conf. The jail kept intact.
>
> "service jail start" started the jail successfully
> but "service jail restart" fails due to jail being stuck in "dying" state for long time:
> "jls" shows no running jails and "jls -d" shows the dying jail.
>
> How do I know why is it stuck and how to forcebly kill it without reboot of the host?

I have the same problem on a FreeBSD 11.0

I have no specific jail.conf

for exec.start is directly calls service cassandra onestart
and stop calls the stop of the very same service.

jail -f /myconf -r nameofthejail

I can see the jail staying in dying mode for multiple minutes
even after sockstat -j has been showing no TCP is left at all.

No processes are left in the jail

I'm mostly clueless on how to debug that and know that the dying jail is waiting
on.

It is painful as it prevents from exporting the zfs pool the jail was sitting
on.

Any one has ideas?

Best regards,
Bapt