I'm upset about FreeBSD

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Mon Oct 17 17:30:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 03:44:14 +0300
Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all I faced an old problem that I reported here a year ago:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.stable/96598
> Completely new USB flash drive flashed by the
> FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386-mini-memstick.img file kills every Windows
> again. If I use the Rufus util to write the img file (using DD mode)
> the Windows dies immediately after the flashing. If I use the
> Win32DiskImager (suggested by the Handbook) it doesn't reinitialize
> the USB storage and Windows dies only if I remove and put that USB
> flash drive again or boot Windows when it is connected. Nothing was
> done to fix this nasty bug for a year.

As was already said in the other answers this is a bug in Windows.
Particulary in the partition parser. partmgr.sys (running in kernel
mode) crashes while parsing the FreeBSD installation images GPT
setup. This may be a variant of the bug known as "Kindle is crashing
Win 10":

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/plugging-in-kindle-is-crashing-windows-10-after/5db0d867-0822-4512-919e-3d7786353f95?page=1

That bug was patched on september 13 and I'm unable to reproduce the
crash on a fully patched Win 10 VM. But there's no patch for Win 7,
even with all patches applied my Win 7 VM is still crashing as soon
as the FreeBSD installation image is connected.

I did some debugging and I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the
pmbr used for classic BIOS boot but the GPT itself. But my knowledge
of GPT and especially Windows internals is limit. So maybe someone
with more insight can look into this.

Or even better: Complain to Microsoft. Even if the GPT is invalid it
should crash the kernel.

Regards,
Yamagi

--