moving ezjail-based jails from 10.3 host to 11.0 host

Marko Cupać marko.cupac at mimar.rs
Mon Oct 17 15:43:33 UTC 2016

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:55:07 +0200
Oliver Peter <lists at peter.de.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 03:37:08PM +0200, Marko Cupać wrote:
> > I have 10.3 host which runs a dozen or so ezjail-based jails. I have
> > installed another 11.0 host, and I'd like to move jails to it.
>
> I would switch them to iocage+zfs, ezjail is sooo 90s. :)
> Have a look at the documentation:
> 	http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic-use.html
>
> All jail settings are stored within ZFS properties so an upcoming
> migration would only need a zfs send | zfs receive.
>
> > Can I just archive jails on 10.3, scp them to 11.0, and re-create
> > them there by restoring from archive (-a switch)?
>
> Further I would recommend to use rsync -av instead of scp.

Oliver,

I do appreciate you took the time to respond to my question. However,
when I asked how to move my ezjail-based jails, I meant exactly that.
I did not ask which is the best jail management system (for my use case
I'm completely fine with ezjail), or about the good and bad things
about ZFS (I have hardware RAID controller which can't do JBOD on this
server), or advantages of rsync over scp (doesn't make much difference
for one-time transfer of single .tar.gz file over LAN).

Now, to give answer to my own question: everything works fine, after -
of course - reinstalling all the packages with `pkg-static upgrade -f'.

Regards,
After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/