sshd whines & dies after releng/10 "freebsd-update" run

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Oct 16 16:41:25 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 12:35:01PM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 12:26 PM, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>
> wrote:
>
> > This weekend, though, I was planning to update my other systems tfrom
> > stable/10 to stable/11, so I figured I'd try freebsd-update on this
> > machine first.
> >

> Wait, you used freebsd-update on a machine running stable?

No.

My *other* machines run stable (though a couple also sometimes run
head).  This machine runs releng/10.

> It only supports
> releases. IOW you may well have *downgraded* the machine in some sense.
> (Although really it should have just failed in that case.)

Right.

> Also make sure you are not using an sshd from ports; even if such a
> down/sidegrade works for base, I'd expect it to screw up installed ports.

I'm certain that I wouldn't have placed a "ports" sshd in /sur/sbin
(even had I installed one), and pkg reports negatively:

sisboombah(10.3-RELEASE-p7)[5] pkg info ssh\*
pkg: No package(s) matching ssh*
sisboombah(10.3-RELEASE-p7)[6]

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Those who would murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.