11.0 stuck on high network load

Julien Charbon jch at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 14 09:57:08 UTC 2016

 Hi,

On 10/14/16 11:35 AM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 06:14:29PM +0200, Julien Charbon wrote:

>>> dtrace don't executed in may case w/ diagnostic "dtrace: processing
>>> aborted: Abort due to systemic unresponsiveness". This is for
>>> tcp_close. May be tcp_twstart will be more successuful, may be not.
>>
>>  It does and will.
>>
>>> Also, using dtrace too complex in production (need complex startup
>>> under screen and capture output) and for many peoples.
>>> kdb_backtrace() have too less administrative overhead.
>>
>>  I still think it is overkill.  The main goal of this change is to fix a
>> quite tricky and old TCP stack locking issue.  Let's try to do that
>> first, it is complex enough by itself.
>>
>>  Once the fix is validated and pushed, feel free to propose your own
>> patch/review to add kdb_backtrace(), log(), etc.. to get other devs
>> point of view.
>>
>>  I don't remember who said: "Never ever optimize error cases"...
>
> This is not optimeze error cases, this is error recovery and
> diagnostic of error cases in other subsystems.

 Sure, I guess this quote is more geared toward:  "Always spend 50x more
time on improving the main path than the error path".

> Currently FreeBSD internals too complex for just always trust on
> correct of other subsystem or do panic on any incosystency.
>
> INVARIANTS too expensive now (20Gbit drops to 8Gbits).

 I do agree.  I am not expert enough to see all the side effects of
calling kdb_backtrace() from the TCP stack, might be way too slow,
tricky in interruption context, etc.  You can see that  kdb_backtrace()
is rarely called in the kernel source.  That's why it is better if you
propose a review on adding this line to get comments from other devs on
just this question.

> PS: I am applay patch. Wait till monday.
>
> Thanks very match for this hard work!

 No problem, thanks for your time.  But it is not over yet:  We have to
wait for final test.

--
Julien