Reproducible panic - Going nowhere without my init!

Andy Farkas chuzzwassa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 01:14:40 UTC 2016

Is it just me or....

Step 1: boot
Step 2: login as root
Step 3: type "w<enter>" *
Step 4: type "shutdown now; logout<enter>"
Step 5: press <enter> at the 'Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for
/bin/sh:' prompt
Step 6: type "reboot<enter>"
Step 7: get a Panic: "Going nowhere without my init!"

* The panic will not happen if you skip step 3.

The panic will not happen if you type "sync; sync; sync" after step 5.

The panic will not happen if you wait (an unknown amount of) some time
after step 5.

# uname -a
FreeBSD deepthink 11.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 11.0-PRERELEASE #6 r306656: Tue
Oct  4 09:03:05 AEST 2016 root at deepthink:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

-andyf

ps. apologies, forced to send from a gmail account.
reply-to: andyf at andyit.com.au