11.0-RELEASE cant boot on aws.

Peter Ankerstål peter at pean.org
Sun Oct 2 10:52:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently updated one of my machines hosted on AWS EC2 running 10.3 to 11.0 using freebsd-update.  Now the machine cant boot. Its gets stuck in the loader.

Last thing that shows is:
FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root at releng2.nyi.freebsd.org, Thu Sep 22 21:38:48 UTC 2016)
_

To recover the machine I started a new instance and attached the block device from the original machine and fiddled around with somewhat with the bootcode without any success.

Then I did a freebsd-update upgrade on the newly installed machine and the same thing happens.
—
freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
freebsd-update install
reboot
—
Now both machines show the same symptoms.

I did the same procedure on another system running i another region, and that worked without any problem.

/Peter.