Uppercase RE matching problems in FreeBSD 11

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sun Nov 6 21:20:57 UTC 2016

> Am 06.11.2016 um 22:06 schrieb Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org>:
>
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 09:57:00PM +0100, Stefan Bethke wrote:

>>> Yes A-Z only means uppercase in an ASCII only world in a unicode world it means
>>> AaBb... Z because there are way more characters that simple A-Z. In FreeBSD 11
>>> we have a unicode collation instead of falling back in on LC_COLLATE=C which
>>> means ascii only
>>>
>>> For regrexp for example one should use the classes: :upper: or :lower:.
>>
>> That is rather surprising.  Is there a normative reference for the treatment of bracket expressions and character classes when using locales other than C and/or encodings like UTF-8?
>
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap09.html
>
> For example:
>
> "Regular expressions are a context-independent syntax that can represent a wide
> variety of character sets and character set orderings, where these character
> sets are interpreted according to the current locale. While many regular
> expressions can be interpreted differently depending on the current locale, many
> features, such as character class expressions, provide for contextual invariance
> across locales.“

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear enough with my question.  When a character class fits the problem, it is clearly advantageous.

But under what circumstances would [A-Z] mean anything other than a character whose Unicode codepoint is between U+0041 and U+005A, inclusive?  Especially given the locale in the example is en_US.UTF-8.  Or, put another way, why would an implementation interpret [A-Z] as anything other than [ABCDE…XYZ]?

From reading your reference, I can see in 9.3.5.7:
> In the POSIX locale, a range expression represents the set of collating elements that fall between two elements in the collation sequence, inclusive. In other locales, a range expression has unspecified behavior[…]

So even if the observed behaviour is conforming, I’d think it’s still highly undesirable.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811