huge nanosleep variance on 11-stable

Jason Harmening jason.harmening at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 06:06:07 UTC 2016

On 11/01/16 22:49, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Jason Harmening
> <jason.harmening at gmail.com <mailto:jason.harmening at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 11/01/16 20:45, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>     > On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jason Harmening
>     > <jason.harmening at gmail.com <mailto:jason.harmening at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:jason.harmening at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jason.harmening at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Sorry, that should be ~*30ms* to get 30fps, though the
>     variance is still
>     >     up to 500ms for me either way.
>     >
>     >     On 11/01/16 14:29, Jason Harmening wrote:
>     >     > repro code is at http://pastebin.com/B68N4AFY if anyone's
>     interested.
>     >     >
>     >     > On 11/01/16 13:58, Jason Harmening wrote:
>     >     >> Hi everyone,
>     >     >>
>     >     >> I recently upgraded my main amd64 server from 10.3-stable
>     >     (r302011) to
>     >     >> 11.0-stable (r308099).  It went smoothly except for one big
>     issue:
>     >     >> certain applications (but not the system as a whole)
>     respond very
>     >     >> sluggishly, and video playback of any kind is extremely choppy.
>     >     >>
>     >     >> The system is under very light load, and I see no evidence of
>     >     abnormal
>     >     >> interrupt latency or interrupt load.  More interestingly, if I
>     >     place the
>     >     >> system under full load (~0.0% idle) the problem
>     *disappears* and
>     >     >> playback/responsiveness are smooth and quick.
>     >     >>
>     >     >> Running ktrace on some of the affected apps points me at
>     the problem:
>     >     >> huge variance in the amount of time spent in the nanosleep
>     system
>     >     call.
>     >     >> A sleep of, say, 5ms might take anywhere from 5ms to ~500ms
>     from
>     >     entry
>     >     >> to return of the syscall.  OTOH, anything CPU-bound or that
>     waits on
>     >     >> condvars or I/O interrupts seems to work fine, so this doesn't
>     >     seem to
>     >     >> be an issue with overall system latency.
>     >     >>
>     >     >> I can repro this with a simple program that just does a 3ms
>     >     usleep in a
>     >     >> tight loop (i.e. roughly the amount of time a video player
>     would
>     >     sleep
>     >     >> between frames @ 30fps).  At light load ktrace will show
>     the huge
>     >     >> nanosleep variance; under heavy load every nanosleep will
>     complete in
>     >     >> almost exactly 3ms.
>     >     >>
> [...]

It might be worth a shot just to see if this has any impact on the issue
you were seeing with ULE.  I agree that it doesn't seem likely the
choice of scheduler would have an impact on an issue like this.
But it's possible that 4BSD might schedule threads across cores such
that a given core is less likely to be idle on delivery of a timer
interrupt for a given workload.