huge nanosleep variance on 11-stable

Jason Harmening jason.harmening at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 05:09:44 UTC 2016

On 11/01/16 20:45, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jason Harmening
> <jason.harmening at gmail.com <mailto:jason.harmening at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry, that should be ~*30ms* to get 30fps, though the variance is still
>     up to 500ms for me either way.
>
>     On 11/01/16 14:29, Jason Harmening wrote:
>     > repro code is at http://pastebin.com/B68N4AFY if anyone's interested.
>     >
>     > On 11/01/16 13:58, Jason Harmening wrote:
>     >> Hi everyone,
>     >>
>     >> I recently upgraded my main amd64 server from 10.3-stable
>     (r302011) to
>     >> 11.0-stable (r308099).  It went smoothly except for one big issue:
>     >> certain applications (but not the system as a whole) respond very
>     >> sluggishly, and video playback of any kind is extremely choppy.
>     >>
>     >> The system is under very light load, and I see no evidence of
>     abnormal
>     >> interrupt latency or interrupt load.  More interestingly, if I
>     place the
>     >> system under full load (~0.0% idle) the problem *disappears* and
>     >> playback/responsiveness are smooth and quick.
>     >>
>     >> Running ktrace on some of the affected apps points me at the problem:
>     >> huge variance in the amount of time spent in the nanosleep system
>     call.
>     >> A sleep of, say, 5ms might take anywhere from 5ms to ~500ms from
>     entry
>     >> to return of the syscall.  OTOH, anything CPU-bound or that waits on
>     >> condvars or I/O interrupts seems to work fine, so this doesn't
>     seem to
>     >> be an issue with overall system latency.
>     >>
>     >> I can repro this with a simple program that just does a 3ms
>     usleep in a
>     >> tight loop (i.e. roughly the amount of time a video player would
>     sleep
>     >> between frames @ 30fps).  At light load ktrace will show the huge
>     >> nanosleep variance; under heavy load every nanosleep will complete in
>     >> almost exactly 3ms.
>     >>
>     >> FWIW, I don't see this on -current, although right now all my
>     -current
>     >> images are VMs on different HW so that might not mean anything.
>     I'm not
>     >> aware of any recent timer- or scheduler- specific changes, so I'm
>     >> wondering if perhaps the recent IPI or taskqueue changes might be
>     >> somehow to blame.
>     >>
>     >> I'm not especially familiar w/ the relevant parts of the kernel,
>     so any
>     >> guidance on where I should focus my debugging efforts would be much
>     >> appreciated.
>     >>
>     >> Thanks,
>     >> Jason

> [...]

I figured it out: r282678 (which was never MFCed to 10-stable) added
support for the MWAIT instruction on the idle path for Intel CPUs that
claim to support it.

While my CPU (2009-era Xeon 5500) advertises support for it in its
feature mask and ACPI C-state entries, the cores don't seem to respond
very quickly to interrupts while idling in MWAIT.  Disabling mwait in
acpi_cpu.c and falling back to the old "sti; hlt" mechanism for C1
completely fixes the responsiveness issues.

So if your CPU is of a similar vintage, it may not be ULE's fault.