10.3-RC3 kill -TERM weirdness after upgrade

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Sat Mar 19 01:47:02 UTC 2016

I've just upgraded two local servers from 10.3-RC2 to 10.3-RC3.  One is
i386 (Pentium 4) with 1.5GB memory; the other is amd64 (Xeon E5 x 2)
with 16GB.  Something seems to be swallowing SIGTERM sometimes.  I've
never seen this before.

rc scripts and service(8) hang when trying to stop some services.  If I
break out of the script or service command (via ctrl-C) and invoke
kill(1), passing the relevant PID, the shell prompt returns immediately
but the process doesn't terminate.  Sending SIGKILL to the process via
kill(1) does its job.

I am seeing this with:
  squid        (on both servers)
  ircd-ratbox  (on both servers)
  git_daemon

I am not seeing this (all seems normal) with:
  cupsd
  sendmail     (on both servers)

Is anybody else seeing this, or have I been bitten by some other
coincidence?

--
John Marshall