Why must X open TCP by default?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 20:59:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> wrote:

> Good catch, by both you, and Brandon. I just tried it. But
> sockstat(1) still reports 6000 being open. Closing the X
> server, and session, reveal that 6000 is no longer open.
> Bummer.

Check `man 7 Xserver` to verify the option needed. You might also have to
check the xserverrc file (I don't recall where it is offhand and can't
really check right now, but startx is a shell script and the default
xserverrc will be set near the top) to see if it is overriding the option.
In that case you could copy the xserverrc to ~/.xserverrc (make sure it's
chmod +x) and edit that copy to force nolisten tcp, or for multiple users
you'd edit the master xserverrc but may need to remember to re-edit after
system updates.