new certificate for svn.freebsd.org?

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 09:58:16 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Wolfgang Zenker
<wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org> wrote:
> * Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> [160618 11:21]:
>> On 18/06/2016 05:40, Ben Steel via freebsd-stable wrote:
>>> It's not just you, Wolfgang. See bug 210332 at bugs.freebsd.org.
>>> The new certificate is in place on the 4 mirrors that I found (US East,
>>> US West, UK, Russia) but didn't verify cleanly and wasn't in the
>>> documentation.
>
>>> For me, the fix was in Dimitry's mail, a step I probably missed when
>>> installing security/ca_root_nss:
>
>>> sudo ln -s /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt /etc/ssl/cert.pem
>
>> There's an option in the ca_root_nss port to create the symlink, which
>> is enabled by default.  That option only exists because the ports are
>> not supposed to touch anything outside /usr/local -- except that for
>> this port, not creating the symlink for /etc/ssl/cert.pm pretty much
>> renders the whole port pointless.
>
>> Even so, the option used to be off by default: the change to 'on by
>> default' was made almost exactly a year ago, and there have been several
>> changes to the list of certs since, so not having the symlink in place
>> indicates either that you haven't updated your ports recently, or that
>> you've specifically chosen not to enable the symlink.  In which case you
>> wouldn't have been able to validate the previous cert either.
>
> I first installed the port a couple of years ago and updated regularly,
> but of course the options value of not installing the symlink, which
> I then accepted as default, had been saved and was automatically used
> in every update since. I could not validate the previous cert either,
> but could check the hash against the published version.
>
> Now using "make rmconfig" and reinstalling the port fixed it for me.
>
> Maybe we should consider bringing the config dialog up again in
> ports where default values are changed?
>
> Wolfgang

That would probably require some reworking of the saved options. Now
there is no information saved if an option is at its default setting
or differs from the default. Without that information evaluating all
options to detect changed defaults for a large set of ports would be
very slow.

-Kimmo