Recent stable: bsnmpd eats up memory and cpu

Mark Huizer freebsd+stable at dohd.org
Tue Jul 5 08:38:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:01:07AM +0200, Wolfgang Zenker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after updating some 10-STABLE systems a few days ago, I noticed that on
> two of those systems bsnmpd started to use up a lot of cpu time, and the
> available memory shrinked until rendering the system unusable. Killing
> bsnmpd stops the cpu usage but does not free up memory.
> Both affected systems are amd64, one having moved from r297555 to
> r298723, the other from r297555 to r298722. Another amd64 system
> that went from r297555 to r298722 appears to be not affected.
> The two affected systems are on an internal LAN segment and there
> is currently no application connecting to snmp on those machines.
>
> What would be useful debugging data to collect in this case?

I saw a resembling thing here after upgrading to 10-stable yesterday.
I noticed bsnmp running at 30 to 40% cpu continuously, resembling what I found here:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/37045/

After ktrace-ing the process I noticed it was doing sysctl stuff all the time and a more close
look showed that it was freaking out on the CD device without a medium.

So I inserted a CD in the device, and bsnmp went back to normal.

"Interesting". So far I didn't notice memory issues.

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...