10-STABLE hangups frequently

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Feb 18 15:22:43 UTC 2016

> On 18 Feb 2016, at 01:24, Marius Strobl <marius at freebsd.org> wrote:
>

> Could those of you experiencing these hangs with ZFS please test
> whether instead of reverting all of r292895, a kernel built with
> just the merge of r291244 undone via the following patch gets
> rid of that problem - especially on amd64 - and report back?
> https://people.freebsd.org/~marius/r291244_reversal_10.diff

Fist, a warning: as my report is very fuzzy, take it with a grain of salt.

That said, since two months ago more or less, I have been having performance problems with a “playground” machine I use for several purposes, like searching Netflow data, graphing performance data from several machines with Orca, etc.

———
CPU: Six-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2431 (2400.15-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x100f80  Family=0x10  Model=0x8  Stepping=0
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x37ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT>
  SVM: NP,NRIP,NAsids=64
  TSC: P-state invariant
real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
avail memory = 8270192640 (7887 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 400
ACPI APIC Table: <SUN    X4x40   >
———

I was running lots of stuff (creating a lot of memory pressure) but the system coped with it anyway. After one update (I use to track -STABLE) I begun to have problems. Something I noticed was, the system begun killing processes because of a lack of memory while the swap partition wasn’t full at all. The wired memory would skyrocket as well.

After reducing the clutter (ie, removing what  I really didn’t need) the server has been stable, but the performance (for example, when performing large Netflow searches) has decreased remarkably.

I have rebuilt -STABLE today with that patch, and something has definitely changed. Performance is much better and memory consumption is not growing like before, with the same NFsen, Orca and other stuff running.

I know this is not a serious report, I can’t do it with that server, but I hope it rings a bell or somewhat confirms a data point.

Borja.