82576 + NETMAP + VLAN

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Mon Feb 15 21:44:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 05:02:36PM +0100, Giuseppe Lettieri wrote:

> Il 15/02/2016 16:13, Slawa Olhovchenkov ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 04:10:30PM +0100, Giuseppe Lettieri wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Slawa,
> >>
> >> I think WITNESS is seeing a false positive, since those two are always
> >> different mutexes.
> >>
> >> The actual deadlock you experience should be caused by something else. I
> >
> > Are you sure? When deadlock occur I am see threads waiting on nm_kn_lock.
>
> The deadlock I mentioned still involves nm_kn_locks, sorry if I was not
> clear about that. I am just saying that we never try to take the same
> lock that we already holding.
>
> Nonetheless, there are indeed problems in the path that WITNESS has
> seen. The problem is that pipes have to notify the other end while
> called by kevent. kevent holds the nm_kn_lock on the TX src ring and the
> notification takes the nm_kn_lock on the RX dst ring.

Can you comment other issuses? Is this by design or is this bug?

- with kevent sync for transmiting need first register
  EVFILT_WRITE/EV_DISABLE and after every write
  EVFILT_WRITE/EV_DISPATCH

- with kevent sync all opening /dev/netmap and registering need do
  from same thread as kevent using for sinc (unless no RX/TX).