UEFI & ZFS

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Sun Feb 14 12:28:06 UTC 2016

Hello,
I've observed the slowness only on the local console, I haven't tested
the seriel console. Put the FreeBSD legcay installation usb stick into
the box, select it as boot device and watch the cursor spinning for
about 10 minutens until the kernel boots. Do the same with an UEFI
installation stick and it's a matter of seconds...

I've seen this on an Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI with a Core i7 6700k and on
two Supermicro X11SBA-LN4F based machines with Skylake Xeon CPUs. There
are several other reports of slow boot on Skylake CPUs on the net. In
the thread mentioned below some changes in the hardware, the firmware
or somewhere else were suspected. I didn't even try to debug it,instead
I went with the UEFI loader.

Regards,
Yamagi