Is UEFI required for ZFS?

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Fri Feb 12 15:34:04 UTC 2016

I have a new Asus H170-Plus-D3 motherboard that will be used for a DOM0 Xen
Server.  It uses an Intel i5-6300 processor and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD.  I
would like to use ZFS on this new installation.  The Xen Kernel does not have
UEFI support at this time, so I installed FreeBSD CURRENT r295345 in 'legacy
mode'.  It takes about 7 minutes to go from the first '|' character to
getting the 'beastie' menu.  I changed the BIOS to UEFI and did another
installation.  The boot process goes in an instant.  Thinking that it may be
an issue with FreeBSD CURRENT, I installed FreeBSD 10.3 BETA 1 in both legacy
and UEFI mode.  The results were the same.  BIOS Legacy mode with a default
ZFS installation takes nearly 7 minutes to get the Beastie menu.  An UEFI
installation with ZFS is instantanious.  A default GPT installation of both
CURRENT and FreeBSD 10.3 BETA1, either legacy or UEFI, also gives an instant
bootup.

How can I dig deeper into my problem?  I would like to use ZFS with my Xen
Server.

Tom

--
Public Keys: