10-STABLE hangups frequently

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at mahoroba.org
Wed Feb 3 01:04:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

>>>>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 07:07:38 +1100
>>>>> Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> said:

peter> As others have said, you need to provide lots more detail on your
peter> configuration.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 3TB

I'm using ZFS only setup.

peter> There were no problems at r290231 but after I upgraded to r295005, I
peter> started seeing "out of swap" errors and hangs during the periodic
peter> daily runs.  I'm not seeing this on 1GB instances - though they are
peter> all running UFS.

r292875 runs well:

FreeBSD asuka.mahoroba.org 10.2-STABLEFreeBSD 10.2-STABLE #5 r292875: Tue Feb  2 07:08:29 JST 2016 root at asuka.mahoroba.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ASUKA  amd6

r292895 hangs:

FreeBSD asuka.mahoroba.org 10.2-STABLE FreeBSD 10.2-STABLE #6 r292895: Tue Feb  2 10:17:28 JST 2016 root at asuka.mahoroba.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ASUKA  amd64

I tried latest stable (r295137) with the sys/kern/vfs_subr.c part of
r292895 reverted, and it seems running well, here:

FreeBSD asuka.mahoroba.org 10.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.3-PRERELEASE #0 r295137M: Tue Feb  2 20:39:11 JST 2016     root at asuka.mahoroba.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ASUKA  amd64

peter> Some experimentation suggested that just "find /" was enough to wedge
peter> my system.  I did some experimenting and found that the following
peter> loader config was enough to prevent it hanging:
peter> vfs.zfs.arc_max="128M"
peter> vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit="50M"
peter> vfs.zfs.arc_min="25M"
peter> (previously, I had no ZFS tuning at all).

I had ZFS tuning before.  However, after this problem was occur, I
removed all of ZFS tuning.
The FS related setting is only kern.maxvnodes=400000, now.

Sincerely,

--
Hajimu UMEMOTO
ume at mahoroba.org  ume at FreeBSD.org