Benchmarks results for Compilers on FreeBSD 11

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Aug 31 22:55:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:16:16 -0700
"K. Macy" <kmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 31, 2016, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
> wrote:
>
> > But for me an attraction has always been "you can build it out of
> > the box", even if I rarely do it (e.g. I am not working in the
> > kernel/driver area),
> >

> Can clang actually bootstrap from something like lcc? As far as I can
> tell you need a fairly advanced C++ compiler just to build that
> compiler in src
> - which already needs to be installed. It's not exactly bootstrapping
> from Bourne shell. So I'm not sure "it's self-hosting" is even true,
> not to mention that you needed a network connection to get src in the
> first place. Thus the whole argument strikes me as circular if not
> outright deceptive.

what do you want to say?

CLang builds on FreeBSD after installing FreeBSD either binary or from
source. If the installation is older, it might be required to move up
the version ladder step by step.

The only problem I see is the time it take to build it. As long it is
the choice a user has, it is part of the game.

Or with your words, it is not a shell.

Erich