Problems with piped tar

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at ze.tum.de
Tue Aug 23 12:28:41 UTC 2016

Am 23.08.2016 um 13:31 schrieb Gary Palmer:

>>> the ???new??? way:
>>> 	tar cf - /some/dir | tar xvvd - -C /dest/dir
>>> which of course does not explain way your version hangs, but this one is cleaner, and btw, don???t
>>> include /.
>>
>> that's very strange. It's working, but doesn't solve another related
>> problem. When i pipe the tar thru nc a have the same problem as my
>> version. And it's no difference if there is a tar c an the receiving end
>> of nc or just a '> file.tar'
>
> Is the sending side using nc -N ?  If not, the sending socket is not being
> shut down.

Is that something new? Because it worked on freebsd9 without the -N option.

The problem seams to be that tar c doesn't terminate after the last File
is send. I think it send the EOF (because nc -N terminates and therefor
terminates the pipe) but the tar process doesn't terminate.

Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt       | E-Mail: schmidt at ze.tum.de
TU-München	      | Jabber: estartu at ze.tum.de
WWW & Online Services |
Tel: 089/289-25270    |
Fax: 089/289-25257    | PGP-Publickey auf Anfrage