Benchmarks results for FreeBSD 11

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 21 05:21:12 UTC 2016

On 19/08/2016 9:34 AM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure that some know of this site:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2bsd-7linux-bench&num=4
>
>  I wonder about the results for FreeBSD. As I do not have 11 on my
> machines, a stupid question. Are there still some debugging aids
> enabled in 11?

They're off in those versions, but did note compiler (and compiler args)
differences between within most tests (See attachments) as you mentioned.

> I know that some of the results are caused by the use of CLang and
> some of the results test applications/compilers and not operating
> systems.

gcc/clang tests and defaults in upstream build systems are almost
certainly contributors. At a minimum it would be nice to see an attempt
to standardise (force) compiler args across all OS runs for the same
test, even if this doesn't prove to be perfect.

Separating or adding tests for the same tests using non-default
compilers (in particular latest GCC versions from ports) so they match
across OS's would also be valuable.

At a minimum it would be worth Michael highlighting the differences, and
ideally removing these variables from the tests, even if they aren't
default configurations. Though a test of out of the box configurations
is still valuable, it can serve to muddy the underlying differences and
make them tougher to isolate.