Call for testing: VM bugs in 10.3

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Aug 17 09:31:48 UTC 2016

On 08/02/16 21:25, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> Below is the merge of some high-profile virtual memory subsystem bug
> fixes from stable/10 to 10.3. I merged fixes for bugs reported by
> users, issues which are even theoretically unlikely to occur in real
> world loads, are not included into the patch set. The later is mostly
> corrections for the handling of radix insertion failures. Included fixes
> are for random SIGSEGV delivered to processes, hangs on "vodead" state
> on filesystem operations, and several others.
>
> List of the merged revisions:
> r301184 prevent parallel object collapses, fixes object lifecycle
> r301436 do not leak the vm object lock, fixes overcommit disable
> r302243 avoid the active object marking for vm.vmtotal sysctl, fixes
> 	"vodead" hangs
> r302513 vm_fault() race with the vm_object_collapse(), fixes spurious SIGSEGV
> r303291 postpone BO_DEAD, fixes panic on fast vnode reclaim
>
> I am asking for some testing, it is not necessary for your system to
> exhibit the problematic behaviour for your testing to be useful. I am
> more looking for smoke-testing kind of confirmation that patch is fine.
> Neither I nor people who usually help me with testing,  run 10.3 systems.
>
> If everything appear to be fine, my intent is to ask re/so to issue
> Errata Notice with these changes in about a week from now.

I upgraded a 10.3/amd64 system which in fact was showing some possibly
related troubles.

So far so good, since I haven't had any problem: altough it's close to
impossible to deterministically reproduce the locks I've had, I saw no
regression so far.

I plan to upgrade other boxes in some weeks.

  bye & Thanks
	av.