ZFS UEFI boot?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Sep 20 16:57:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

according to the wiki:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI#Tasks <https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI#Tasks>

it’s still unsolved and hasn’t even been started.

According to the status report:

https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2015-04-2015-06.html#ZFS-Support-for-UEFI-Boot/Loader <https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2015-04-2015-06.html#ZFS-Support-for-UEFI-Boot/Loader>

some work has been done.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2015-March/047486.html <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2015-March/047486.html>

The reason I’m asking is that all of our servers are HP DL 3[6|8]0 Gen9.
These servers only support UEFI boot (you can set them to legacy-boot only for the next reboot).
I would assume this to be true for more and more servers.

I was playing with the idea of replacing the P440 controllers that we normally buy for these servers with the H240 controllers (these can be put into a so called „HBA mode“  and then present each disk directly, making them better suited for ZFS).

However, the server still only boots with UEFI.

And ZFS I want primarily to leverage beadm across all our servers...