process scheduling and cpuset

Dmitry Sivachenko trtrmitya at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:18:34 UTC 2015

> On 13 сент. 2015 г., at 19:40, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw at zxy.spb.ru> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 04:44:40PM +0300, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

>>> You don't have 32 processor machine, you have only 16 processor
>>> machine.
>>> SMT/hyperthreading don't give real processor, SMT "CPU" have
>>> unpredicable power and his load depend on load parent CPU.
>>>
>>> For example, for my case I see such condition (simpliy) on CPU 0 and 1
>>> (SMT of one real core) with rise load:
>>>
>>> load 0.1  0.1
>>> load 0.2  0.2
>>> load 0.3  0.3
>>> load 0.4  0.4
>>> load 0.45 0.45
>>> load 0.48 0.48
>>> load 1.00 1.00\
>>

>> Yes I know about HT.  But how does this explain why I have 10% of CPU idle?
>>
>> If I explicitly bind my single-threaded processes to the remaining CPU cores (25-32), they start to receive expected 100% of CPU and overall Idle decreases.
>>
>> I just expect scheduler to do the same for me.
>>

> Idle is not goal, goal is lessing task executing time.

Thanks for the explanation.

In my example SMT pairs are numbered with sequential numbers, so 0+1 is one SMT group, 2+3 is second SMT group, and so on.

So in 25-32 range there are several real CPU cores which remain idle while processes are fighting for overloaded 0-24.

When I explicitly pin my single-threaded processes to 25-32 range, they start to receive 100% of CPU (and finish faster to be clear).