zfs receive -> space quota exceeded

Stefan Wendler stefan.wendler at tngtech.com
Wed Nov 25 09:51:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am trying to setup a zfs snapshot backup. And I am using quotas on most of
the datasets that I am trying to backup with send/receive.

The snapshot data on the backup pool is around 100% larger than the original
data (compression is lz4 on both pools, dedup=off, no refquota). So I am
exceeding the quota for every dataset.

The send/receive always fails with: "space quota exceeded"

What can I do other than disabling the quotas? Which I won't do.

The command I am using for the first send/receive is:

fs send -R storage at autobackup-2015-11-25 | mbuffer | zfs receive -Fduv
backup/storage

I know that -R is also sending attributes. Which is fine and wanted. But I
don't think that a quota should be a problem here?

FreeBSD Version is still 10.1 unfortunately. There is no way to have a
downtime right now and upgrade to 10.2.

zpool/zfs versions are 28/5

Cheers,
Stefan