su on 10.2: TERM: Undefined variable

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Mon Nov 23 04:32:56 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 19:43 -0500, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Erich Dollansky <
> erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com> wrote:
>
> > this is a bit strange. TERM should be always define to tell the
> > applications the capabilities of your terminal.
> >

> Things run from crontab don't have a terminal.

Indeed cron only sets SHELL HOME PATH and USER

> I note the error message looks like csh; check the target user's
> .cshrc.

but we are running from cron which defaults to sh inside a script with
a #!/bin/sh and the call is su -m which should leave the environment
unmodified and use the current shell (presumably still sh) as the login
shell.

Also www has a home of /nonexistant, no .cshrc file to be had.

Maybe freebsd-update IDS is in order?