After BIOS-Upgrade, I can't (UEFI-) boot anymore

O'Connor, Kevin KevinO'Connor at merseyfire.gov.uk
Wed Nov 18 13:52:55 UTC 2015

From the wiki

The boot process proceeds as follows:

    UEFI firmware runs at power up and searches for an OS loader in the EFI system partition. The path to the loader may be set by an EFI environment variable, with a default of /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.

        For FreeBSD, boot1.efi is installed as /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.
        boot1.efifat is an image of such a FAT filesystem for use by bsdinstall
    boot1.efi locates the first partition with a type of freebsd-ufs, and from it loads loader.efi. (This may be a different disk than the one holding the EFI system partition.)
    loader.efi loads and boots the kernel, as described in loader(8).

So my best guess is that something has been changed by the upgrades and boot1.efi  no longer knows the correct location of  /boot/loader.efi

You'll have to go digging in the EFI system partition to work out what has changed. (I assume you have done an automated install of the HP support DVD and upgraded the array controller and the HDD microcode etc.)

Kevin