LACP with 3 interfaces.

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 17 16:20:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Kurt Jaeger <lists at opsec.eu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> > Is there something we can do to make sure lagg0 uses all the interfaces.
>>
>> Nope.  LACP doesn't actively load balance its interfaces.
>
> On FreeBSD 11
>
>         man lagg(4)
>
> says:
>
> The driver currently supports the aggregation protocols failover (the
> default), lacp, loadbalance, roundrobin, broadcast, and none.
>
> with
>
>      roundrobin   Distributes outgoing traffic using a round-robin scheduler
>                   through all active ports and accepts incoming traffic from
>                   any active port.
>
> If the three ports are needed for sending, shouldn't this work ?

Be careful with roundrobin or loadbalance.  Both of them will
distribute outbound traffic across all ports, but at the expense of
causing your NFS clients to receive out-of-order TCP packets.  This
increases their CPU load.  You may find that performance with
roundrobin is actually worse than with LACP because of the
out-of-order issue.  Also, neither roundrobin nor loadbalance will
help distribute inbound traffic.

-Alan