ZFS on labelled partitions (was: Re: LSI SAS2008 mps driver preferred firmware version)

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Nov 17 08:08:08 UTC 2015

Hi, all,

> Am 16.11.2015 um 22:19 schrieb Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com>:
>
> ​You label the disks as they are added to the system the first time.  That
> way, you always know where each disk is located, and you only deal with the
> labels.

we do the same for obvious reasons. But I always wonder about the possible
downsides, because ZFS documentation explicitly states:

	ZFS operates on raw devices, so it is possible to create a storage pool comprised of logical
	volumes, either software or hardware. This configuration is not recommended, as ZFS works
	best when it uses raw physical devices. Using logical volumes might sacrifice performance,
	reliability, or both, and should be avoided.

(from http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbcik/index.html)

Can anyone shed some lght on why not using raw devices might sacrifice
performance or reliability? Or is this just outdated folklore?

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100