LSI SAS2008 mps driver preferred firmware version

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Mon Nov 16 20:57:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:40:12AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Beware, the target number assignment is not predictable. There's no
> > > guarantee especially if you replace
> > > a disk.
> > >

> > > Borja.
> > >

> > As already mentioned, unless you are using zfs, use gpart to label you file
> > systems/disks. Then use the /dev/gpt/LABEL as the mount device in fstab.
> >

> ​Even if you are using ZFS, labelling the drives with the location of the
> disk in the system (enclosure, column, row, whatever) makes things so much
> easier to work with when there are disk-related issues.
>
> Just create a single partition that covers the whole disk, label it, and
> use the label to create the vdevs in the pool.​

Bad idea.
Re-placed disk in different bay don't relabel automaticly.
Other issuse where disk placed in bay some remotely hands in data
center -- I am relay don't know how disk distributed by bays.
Best way for identify disk -- uses enclouse services.

I have many sites with ZFS on whole disk and some sites with ZFS on
GPT partition. ZFS on GPT more heavy for administration.