LSI SAS2008 mps driver preferred firmware version

Kai Gallasch k at free.de
Thu Nov 12 21:12:00 UTC 2015

Hi.

I'm currently building a new ZFS based FreeBSD 10.2 server with a
SAS/SATA HBA SAS9211-8i.

Is there a preferred or recommended firmware version for Fusion-MPT
SAS-2 2008 chipset based LSI cards like the SAS9211-8i? MPS(4) does not
give any information about this.

The current version of my SAS9211-8i is:
v7.05.05.00 (2010.05.19), BIOS
5.00.17.00-IR, FW

IR vs. IT firmware:

Are there any advantages replacing the -IR (integrated raid) firmware on
the LSI controller with an -IT (target mode) version, if the RAID
functionality of the HBA is not used at all?

There were some claims that running the -IR version in a ZFS JBOD setup
would result in a small performance penalty compared to -IT and that
there was a risk that a controller running the -IR firmware version
could potentially damage ZFS data on a disk by putting RAID metadata
somewhere on the drive, even if not using the RAID feature of the card!

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Regards,
Kai.

--
PGP-KeyID = 0x70654D7C4FB1F588