CPU frequency doesn't drop below 1200MHz (like it used to)

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Fri May 22 17:26:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2015 16:28:49 +0300, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
>  > On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Ivan Klymenko <fidaj at ukr.net> wrote:
>> Fri, 22 May 2015 09:33:15 +0200
>> Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass at gmx.com> яяяяяяяяяяяяяя:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just noticed that my CPU's frequency doesn't support dropping
>>> below 1200MHz. It used to be able to go down to 150MHz, if I am
>>> not mistaken. I'd like it to go down to 600MHz via powerd, like
>>> it used to go. This is a month's old 10-STABLE.

>>> This is the CPU:
>>>  > hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any ideas,
>>> Nikos
>>
>> Try changing the options in /boot/device.hints
>> hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled="0"
>> hint.p4tcc.0.disabled="0"
>
>  > Thanks, those also fixed powerd(8) for me that stopped working after
>  > upgrading to stable/10 from releng/10.1. Why are those setting
>  > suddenly needed now?
>  >
>  > -Kimmo
>
> Looks like the changes to these two hints, now defaulting to 1,
> committed to -head some months ago has been merged to stable/10.
>
> Can you say exactly in what way powerd stopped working then?

Powerd(8) complained (excerpt from dmesg -a):

Starting powerd.
powerd: no cpufreq(4) support -- aborting: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start powerd

Putting those two settings in loader.conf and rebooting fixed the
problem and powerd started working again apparently because cpufreq(4)
device was available again.

-Kimmo