RELENG_10 performance regression (was Re: 35-40% performance drop releng9 vs releng10 openvpn

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Mar 20 17:37:11 UTC 2015

OK, just to refocus,

I had been tracking down what I thought was a regression between RELENG9
and RELENG10, but looks more like an issue that cropped up somewhere
between the beginning of March and now.  For RELENG9, I was actually
using a kernel from sources back on Jan 29th by accident.  If I bring
RELENG9 upto today, I get a similar performance loss.

Again, I am testing a simple VPN router setup

server1 --- apu --- server2

where server1 connections to the apu via an OpenVPN tunnel and server1
sends packets via netblast across the tunnel to server2.

  I get the following throughput using netblast through the tunnel on 10

Using
# netblast 1.1.2.2 500 1200 15 (server1 to server2) on 10.x

Kernel    Mb/s
   rev
r277684  76.7563
r279978  59.3233

All good at r278533, r278534, r279467

But at r279978 its quite a bit slower.  So somewhere between r279467 and
r279978.  I will keep trying to narrow it down...

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, mike at sentex.net